Researcher Assay Development and Screening (BSc/MSc)
5 OCTOBER 2022
ZoBio (www.zobio.com) was founded in 2004 and is located in Leiden, Netherlands. We offer innovative research services in the field of small-molecule drug discovery to the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. Our international team of 40 people covers five fields of expertise: Protein Sciences, Assay Development and Screening, Structural Biology, Medicinal Chemistry, and Data and Information Sciences. We are currently looking to strengthen our Assay Development and Screening group (ADS) with a researcher. The group is responsible for characterizing the interaction of small drug like molecules with biological targets using biophysics and biochemical assays.
We are looking for a motivated researcher with a BSc/MSc educational level and 1-2 years’ work experience in a laboratory environment within a relevant scientific discipline (biochemistry, enzymology, or protein chemistry). The hired candidate will first be trained by the experienced members of the group, and therefore prior knowledge in biophysics techniques is not required. This position is initially for a period of 12 months, and with the intention to become a permanent and integral member of the ZoBio team.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- develop methods using surface plasmon resonance (SPR), differential scanning fluorimetry (DSF), Dynamic light scattering (DLS) and biochemical assay platforms
- execute characterization of small molecule interaction with biological targets for clients’ drug discovery projects using above mentioned platforms
- prepare buffers, compounds, and microtiter plates for executing biophysical and biochemical assays
- Report project progress and results in an accurate and concise manner to (senior) scientists in the ADS group and to project leaders
- Collaborate with group members
- Share knowledge, observations, and insights within the group
- Become responsible for maintaining instruments, the contact person for the assigned instruments to arrange maintenance, repairs, and upgrades
- Manage logistics of group specific reagents
PROFILE AND COMPETENCES
We are looking for a person with enthusiasm for working as a member of a team that scientifically contributes to client’s drug discovery projects. The multitude of ongoing projects in a rapidly changing environment demands a person with a flexible mind set and a hands-on mentality. Smooth communication among colleagues is therefore very important. All written and verbal communication at ZoBio is in English.
- Quality orientation: paying extra attention to accuracy in the daily work (experiments and keeping account of experiments in an electronic journal), and adhering to the available protocols and procedures
- Teamwork: contributing actively to a joint result or solution, even when such teamwork concerns a topic which is not of immediate personal interest
- Communication: clearly communicating to colleagues in both verbal and written forms about progress and results of the work
- Adaptability: maintaining effectiveness by adapting to changing circumstances and tasks
- Initiative: recognizing opportunity and acting on it, self-starting rather than waiting passively to see what happens
A tailored remuneration package will be proposed in line with individual qualifications and experience. Please send your CV, motivation letter and names of potential referees at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Researcher position Assay Development and Screening”.