Scientist in Protein Sciences (PhD)
15 SEPTEMBER 2022
ZoBio (www.zobio.com) was founded in 2004 and is located in Leiden, the Netherlands. We offer innovative research services in the field of small-molecule drug discovery to the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. Our international team of 40 people covers four fields of expertise: Protein Sciences, Assay Development and Screening, Structural Biology, and Medicinal Chemistry.
Currently we are looking for a motivated, talented and trustworthy individual that can strengthen our Protein Sciences team within ZoBio. This international team currently consists of 9 talented individuals (5 PhD, 4 BSc/MSc) and come from 6 different countries/ 3 continents. We have access to a variety of state-of-the-art equipment and technologies [5 BioRad NGC/AKTAs, SEC-MALS, Prometheus Panta (NanoDSF/DLS)] for the production and characterization of pharmaceutically relevant and challenging protein targets. Our chromatography systems are customized to provide high throughput purification for multiple proteins at milligram scale. The team is involved in establishing innovative proprietary technologies for protein construct design, protein expression (both in unlabeled as well as isotope labeled minimal media) and protein purification to obtain biophysical grade pure protein batches. These enable the set-up of various downstream assays such as SPR, NMR, Cryo-EM and X-ray crystallography that are critical in small molecule drug discovery projects.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated scientist initially for a period of 12 months. After a successful appointment of 12 months, it is fully expected that the successful candidate will become a permanent and integral member of the ZoBio team. A tailored remuneration package will be proposed in line with individual qualifications and experience. The position is immediately available; the evaluation and assessment of candidates will run until the position is filled.
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
As a member of the Protein Sciences group, you will work on site in the laboratory to support primarily protein production and characterization of a variety of pharmaceutically relevant proteins.
You will provide input to research projects:
- Contribute to construct design with advanced bioinformatics tools
- Design and implement protein purification strategies that provide structural biology grade pure and functional proteins (at multiple mg scale)
- Screen, prior scale-up, multitude of carefully designed protein constructs in multiple host systems
- Troubleshoot proactively various challenges relating to protein production and characterization
- Perform experiments with deadlines
- Keep up to date with relevant literatures and developments in the field of protein sciences
Organize logistics, planning and quality control for research projects:
- Contribute to the overall quality control process of assay data that is generated by the group members
- Control the integrity of data imported in project databases
- Develop innovative approaches to protein production and characterization, including evaluation of new technologies that support and improve the protein science workflow
- Collaborate with clients, external CROs and suppliers
Internal and external communication:
- Report project results in an accurate and concise manner, both verbally and written
- Share knowledge, observations, and insights within the group and ZoBio to improve quality and efficiency of project proceedings
- Collaborate with group members and with the Assay Development and Screening and Structural Biology groups, therefore with people from different backgrounds and fields
- Supervise a team/individual in interdisciplinary projects when required
PROFILE & COMPETENCES
The ideal candidate has a PhD in biochemistry, biophysics or structural biology with 2-5 years’ experience in an industrial/academic environment with demonstrated skills in protein production (from generating the DNA to purified protein) in host systems such as mammalian cells (HEK, CHO) and E. coli. Hands on experience with the use of chromatography systems is essential and experience with production of labeled proteins for NMR purposes is beneficial. The multitude of ongoing projects in a rapidly changing environment demands a dynamic, flexible, creative, and highly organized person with hands-on mentality.
Required competences include:
- Problem analysis by identifying problems, recognizing important information, making connection between data and tracing possible causes of problems
- Creativity by coming up with original solutions, ‘out-of-the-box’ thinking to design novel strategies
- Work standards by setting high quality standards with respect to performance of experiments and data analysis and act accordingly
- Oral and written communication in a clear, persuasive, and effective way to colleagues and clients about ideas and project progress reporting in an accurate and reproducible manner
- Adaptability in one’s behavior, planning and organization, that allows dealing with frequent changes, delays, and unexpected events.
- Teamwork by contributing actively to a joint result or solution, even when such teamwork concerns a matter which is not of immediate personal interest
- Tenacity by staying with a plan of action or point of view until the desired goal has been attained or is no longer reasonably attainable
- Planning and organization for meeting the goals of projects
Please send your CV, motivation letter and names of potential referees to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Protein Scientist”.