Scientist in Protein Engineering & Production (PhD)
29 JULY 2021
ZoBio (www.zobio.com) was founded in 2004 and is located in Leiden, Netherlands. We offer innovative research services in the field of small-molecule drug discovery to the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. Our international team of 33 people covers four fields of expertise: Protein Engineering and Production, Assay Development and Screening, Structural Biology, and Medicinal Chemistry.
Currently we are looking for a motivated, talented and trustworthy individual that can strengthen our Protein Engineering & Production team within ZoBio. This team currently consists of 7 talented individuals (4 PhD and 3 MSc/BSc level) and has access to a variety of state-of-the-art equipment for expression in E. coli, purification and characterization of pharmaceutically relevant and challenging protein constructs: 4 AKTAs/BioRad, SEC-MALS, Prometheus Panta (NanoDSF/DLS), SDS-PAGE and gel analysis systems. Our chromatography systems are customized to provide high throughput purification for multiple proteins at one go at milligram scale. The team is involved in establishing innovative proprietary technologies for protein construct design, protein expression (E. coli, both in rich as well as isotope labeled minimal media) and protein purification to obtain biophysical grade pure protein constructs for biophysical studies in structure-based drug discovery (SPR, NMR, Cryo-EM and X-ray).
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
The advertised position primarily concerns protein production of a variety of pharmaceutically relevant proteins. Emphasis will be on the expression side (screen, scale-up with fermenters, other host systems), to support downstream small fragment screening and structural biology activities in ZoBio. As a member of the protein engineering and production group, you will work mainly in the laboratory and in close collaboration with the assay development and structural biology groups.
- PhD with > 2 years of laboratory experience in biochemistry, biophysics or structural biology
- Demonstrated experience with production of recombinant proteins in E. coli and experience in expression and purification of protein from other host systems is a plus (HEK, insect cells, Cell free)
- Able to design and implement protein purification strategies that provide structural biology grade pure and active proteins (on multiple mg scale) for use in screening assays and structural biology
- Able to develop innovative approaches to protein production including evaluation of new technologies that supports the protein production workflow
- Hands on experience with the use of AKTA/Biorad chromatography systems is essential
- Experience with production of labeled proteins for NMR purposes is beneficial
- Has a can-do attitude, enjoys working in the lab
- Is highly organized and able to work in a result-driven, goal-oriented environment
- Available full-time (40 hrs/week)
- Good communication skills in English (both oral and writing) is a must
It is fully expected that you can become a permanent and integral member of the ZoBio team, after an initial period of 12 months.
A tailored remuneration package will be proposed in line with individual qualifications and experience. The position is immediately available; the evaluation and assessment of candidates will run until the position is filled.
Please send your CV, motivation letter and names of potential referees to email@example.com with the subject: “Scientist in Protein Engineering & Production”.