Researcher in Protein Crystallography (BSc/MSc)
29 JULY 2021
ZoBio (www.zobio.com) was founded in 2004 and is located in Leiden, Netherlands. We offer innovative research services in the field of small-molecule drug discovery to the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. Our international team of 33 people covers four fields of expertise: Protein Sciences, Assay Development and Screening, Structural Biology, and Medicinal Chemistry.
We are currently looking to strengthen our team with a research assistant (BSc or MSc level) with 1-2 years’ laboratory experience in biochemistry, biophysics or X-ray crystallography. A Master’s thesis in crystallography would also be appropriate. In this position you will support an experienced team and you will have the opportunity to gain extensive training in laboratory aspects of protein crystallography. This includes using automation to prepare crystallization screens and “fishing” of crystals from screens to prepare experiments for synchrotron diffraction studies.
You will work in a highly collaborative environment within the Structural Biology team and will effectively cooperate on a per-project basis with other research groups at ZoBio. Your role will require working simultaneously on multiple projects in a rapidly evolving environment. Team spirit and excellent organization and communication skills are essential.
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with high-throughput crystallographic screening utilizing automation and robotics
- Document scientific protocols and results, and report results to scientists in the team
- Maintain lab supplies and inventory
- Manage incoming and outgoing shipments of research materials
- Maintain logistics of obtaining and executing experimental time at various European synchrotrons
- BSc or MSc with 1-2 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to work accurately and keep accurate records of work performed
- Keen to learn new techniques
- Ability to work in a team in a result-driven, goal-oriented environment.
- Experience with crystallography and/or liquid handling robotics would be a significant advantage
It is fully expected that you will become a permanent and integral member of the ZoBio team after an initial period of 12 months.
A tailored remuneration package will be proposed in line with individual qualifications and experience. The position is immediately available; the evaluation and assessment of candidates will run until the position is filled.
Please send your CV, motivation letter and names of potential referees at <firstname.lastname@example.org> with the subject: “Researcher in Protein Crystallography”.