Researcher in Protein Engineering & Production (BSc/MSc)
29 JULY 2021
ZoBio (www.zobio.com) was founded in 2004 and is located in Leiden, Netherlands. We offer innovative research services in the field of small-molecule drug discovery to the pharmaceutical and biotech industries. Our international team of 33 people covers four fields of expertise: Protein Engineering and Production, Assay Development and Screening, Structural Biology, and Medicinal Chemistry.
Currently we are looking for a motivated, talented and trustworthy individual that can strengthen our Protein Engineering & Production team within ZoBio. This team currently consists of 7 talented individuals (4 PhD and 3 MSc/BSc level) and has access to a variety of state-of-the-art equipment for expression in E. coli, purification and characterization of pharmaceutically relevant and challenging protein constructs: 4 AKTAs/BioRad, SEC-MALS, SDS-PAGE gel analysis systems and Prometheus Panta. Our chromatography systems are customized to provide high throughput purification for several proteins at milligram scale. The team is involved in establishing innovative proprietary technologies for protein construct design, expression (E.coli, both in rich as well as isotope labeled minimal media) and purification to obtain biophysical grade pure protein constructs for biophysical studies in structure-based drug discovery (SPR, NMR, Cryo-EM and X-ray).
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
The current position primarily concerns large scale production and characterization of a variety of pharmaceutically relevant proteins to support both small fragment screening and structural biology activities within ZoBio. As a member of the protein engineering and production group, you will work closely with the assay development and structural biology groups.
- MSc. degree in biochemistry, structural biology or related field (industrial experience is a plus) or BSc with at least 2 years of work experience
- Extensive knowledge of protein chemistry with demonstrated experience in production of recombinant proteins in coli. Experience with other host systems and in stable isotope labeling minimal media is a plus
- Extensive experience in protein purification and characterization methods (SDS PAGE, protein chromatography, activity assays, western blots, silver staining, Lab Chip etc). Hands on experience with the use of AKTA/Biorad chromatography systems is necessary
- Well-organized, flexible and can-do attitude: enjoys working in the lab and support the work of others with team spirit
- An analytical mindset and a systematic approach to problem solving
- Good communication and writing skills in English is a must
- Available full-time (40 hrs/week)
It is fully expected that you can become a permanent and integral member of the ZoBio team, after an initial period of 12 months.
A tailored remuneration package will be proposed in line with individual qualifications and experience. The position is immediately available; the evaluation and assessment of candidates will run until the position is filled.
Please send your CV, motivation letter and names of potential referees to email@example.com with the subject: “Researcher in Protein Engineering & Production”.